Grange English Department
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Grange English Department

Forum for Grange students to answer their homework tasks

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman

Go down 
+16
beleen esquiveel
ignacio molina
antoniamardones
Emilia Valenzuela
tomas silva.
francisco grgurina
gregorio ingham
Teresita Purto
Matías Christiansen
Macarena Moreno
Francisca Fuchs
Catalina Junemann
Manuel.Sobral
Nicolás Delorenzo
Francisco Rencoret
Admin
20 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Empty
PostSubject: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 6:03 pm

We have looked in detail already at The American Dream, but the wider, more general ideas of dreams and aspirations are also vital to the plot of 'Death of a Salesman'.

Using at least three quotes (with analysis of how each shows what you claim it does), show how Miller explores/ includes the theme of unfulfilled expectations in the Loman family. You can chose any of Willy, Biff and Happy, or you could look at all three and how they show various versions of the failure to achieve.
Back to top Go down
https://grangeenglish.forumotion.com
Francisco Rencoret

PostSubject: Homework 3   Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 7:53 pm

In the book, the theme of unfulfilled expectations is presented in various occasions. Here are three example of where this theme is presented:

Biff: "To suffer fifty weeks a year for the sake of a two-week vacation." This quote suggests that Biff works very hard and has almost no time to rest, and still, they pay him not enough for the work he does so he cant own a farm or apartment so he doesn’t feel successful.

Happy: "My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women, and still, goddamit, I'm lonely." This quote suggests that Happy has a very good job that can maintain a very good life for him, and still he feels that he is lonely and that this job and everything, is not enough for him being happy.

Willy Loman: “Figure it out. Work a lifetime to pay off a house. You finally own it, and there's nobody to live in it” This quote suggests that Willy has worked very hard to own a house, and when he finally owns it, there nobody to live in it (his sons are gone). This explains that Willy didn’t achieve his expectations of living in his own house with his sons.
Back to top Go down
Nicolás Delorenzo

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 9:42 pm

On the play the death of a salesman the themes of unfulfilled expectation are present on each men character on the Loman family.

On Willy we can see it by this quotation: “If old man Wagner was still alive I will be in charge of New York now! That man was a prince, he was a master full man. But that boy of his, that Howard, he don’t appreciate.” On this quote we can see how Willy thought that if his last boss wouldn’t die he would be in a higher part of the company (in charge of New York) but now with his son as boss he never reach that point and this suggest how he is unfulfilled his expectations because he would had liked to get higher in the company.

On Happy we can see on the quote: “it’s what I always wanted. My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women. And still, goddamit, I’m lonely.” Here we can see that even though Happy has everything he is not feeling happy he feels that something is missing to him and that shows his hasn’t reach his expectation even though he has a good place in society.

Finally with Biff we can see on the quotation: “I’ve had twenty or thirty different kind of job since y left home before the war, and it always turn out the same.” Here it sees how Biff think that his jobs are always the same and never get ascended or have a better place on the company. Also show his instability and that he is constantly changing of job so he can’t settle down. This shows how he has unfulfilled the expectation of the society because he is old and don’t have a settled job and don’t win a lot of money.
Back to top Go down
Manuel.Sobral

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Unfilfilled dreams or expectation is a theme that we can see in every character that he have had the chance to analyse in the first pages of the book.

Willy as he says in the quote " if old man wagner was still alive..he dont appreciate " we can see how he is dissapointed on himself because he couldnt fulfill his dream of getting hig, and in her in the company, and how as the son of his old boss dosent appreciate his effort, he is still stuck in the same job, and in his old dream

Biff as it is quoted: " No, im mixed up...are you content ", here we can see how Biff feels that he has failed in life as he is old now and is not married and does not have a good job, here we can see how his dreams didnt accomplish the way he wanted, because the job that he loves dosent give him enough money to fulfill the expectations of everybody else, and the job that fulfills oher expectations, is the one that Biff feels is not a life.

Happy is also unfulfilled with his dreams as he says: " He cant enjoy it once its finished..what the hell im workin for ", here we can see how Happy, even though he has filled the expectations of the other people, feels lonely in the inside, and is not happy with his life, because he dosent now what is the aim of his work, as he dosent have a family to live with and as he dosent like his job as he would like the farm life.
Back to top Go down
Catalina Junemann

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:23 am

Unfulfilled expectations is a theme present in the first pages of the play death of a salesman, we can identify it on the three male characters that we have met.
Willy: “Work a lifetime to pay off a house. You finally own it, and there’s is nobody to live in it.” In these quote we can notice that Willy is upset because all he wanted was Biff and Happy living with him and they are gone. He worked to own the house and he doesn’t get what he really wanted, he is alone with Linda.
Biff: “I’m not gettin’ anywhere…waste my life.” This quote shows that Biff is confused; he doesn’t know what he wants. He is doing what he always said he wouldn’t, his expectations aren’t achieved and he is lost.
Happy: “But then, it’s what I always wanted.” Here Happy is verbalizing, he is conscious; that everything he has isn’t enough, he has everything he dreamed of but he feels empty he is not satisfied with his lifestyle. Even though he is what society expects he isn’t happy and his own expectations aren’t really reached.
Arthur Miller presents as the man in the Loman family and he shoes us they haven’t reached their expectations, he wants to tell us, the readers, that even though it seems they are happy they feel in a different way and they are unsatisfied.
Back to top Go down
Francisca Fuchs

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Willy: “Figure it out. Work a lifetime to pay off a house. You finally own it, and there's nobody to live in it”. This quote suggests that Willy is unhappy and disappointed with his life because he has ‘worked a life time’ to pay of a house, which is his home, and now he has no family to live in it, as his kids are no more kids.

Happy: "My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women, and still, goddamit, I'm lonely." In these quote we can notice that Happy is not happy with is life despite that he earns money, he has a job, women (etc). And it is suggested to us that happiness is much more than the material things.

Biff: “No I’m mixed up very bad (…) Are you content”. We can see from this that Biff is confused, that he is ‘messed up’ and that he don’t know what he wants, he hasn’t build up his dreams and expectations so he tries to look for answers and happiness in others (e.g. Happy). Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Macarena Moreno

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Unfufield expectations occurs in three of the foru main characters.

Willy: "figure it out. Work a lifetime to pay of a house. You finally own it, and there's nobody to live in it" Willy has work most of kis life trying to buy the house. When he finally achived it, his sons are old and they live by thereselfs. Now he is lonely with his wife.

Biff: "To suffer fifty weeks a year for the sake of a two-week vacation" Biff loves his work, but is to tough and has no rest. Despiute this, he does not have enough money to get the farm of his dreams. Also, he has not fulfilled the expectations of his dad, Willy.

Happy: "It's what I always wanted. My own appartment, a car, and plenty of woman. And still, goddamit, I'm lonely." Happy has a good social life, but he is not happy at work. He also has no defined woman that he wants to marry.
Back to top Go down
Matías Christiansen

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 6:16 pm

The theme of unfilled expectations can be presented in three main character on Death of a Salesman

1. Willy: "figure it out. Work a lifetime to pay of a house. You finaly own it, and there´s nobody to live in it." This quote suggests that willy is sad because he worked"a lifetime" to pay the house and nobody will live in it.

2. Happy: "My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women, and still, goddamit, I'm lonely." This quote suggests that happy has a cormfortable life witha nice house, a god car, plenty of woman but he is still unhappy. This could say that money can´t buy hapiness.

3. Biff: “I’m not gettin’ anywhere…waste my life.” This quote suggests that biff is upset because he can´t get a nice job.
Back to top Go down
Teresita Purto

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Miller includes the theme of unfulfilled expectations, both socially and personally, in the Loman family.
In the personal unfulfillment, Happy is the character that represents it, we get perfectly this idea when he confeses ."Its what I always wanted. My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women, and still, goddamit, I'm lonely." We get that he has reached what is expected to be successful, but by mentioning he is lonely we see the feeling of not being happy in life, he feels there is something beyond a proud work, that he is lacking.

In terms of what society expects, Willy and Biff Loman have not been successful.
In Willy’s situation, we get how at his age he feels he has failed “If old man Wagner was still alive I will be in charge of New York now!”, we get that at his sixty years he could never reach a successful way of life, he feels empty and also a feeling of regret, or a debt with himself, his family and society.
The same happens with Biff, he feels a special debt towards his father, that constantly reminds him of his failure on life, though he loves or enjoys his job, we get this idea of unfulfilled life when he confesess “I’m not gettin’ anywhere…waste my life.”, he feels he has not achieve his expectations, nor societies, he is confused, lost.
Back to top Go down
gregorio ingham

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Miller creates the theme unfilled expectations through 3 main characters:Willy, Happy and Biff.

Willy: "figure it out. Work a lifetime to pay of a house. You finaly own it, and there´s nobody to live in it." We can see that willy is a good worker that his dream was to have his own house were his sons (happy and biff) could live in there, but they are working to get their own house, so he is lonely.
Happy: "My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women, and still, goddamit, I'm lonely." In this quote we can see that happy is a good worker, that has a lot of money and plenty of woman but he tells us that money is not all to acomplish the american dream.
Biff: "To suffer fifty weeks a year for the sake of a two-week vacation" In this quote we can see that biff works hard but he hates his job, and wants to be promoted in his job.
Back to top Go down
francisco grgurina

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:04 pm

the theme of unfulfilled expectations is present in the play mainly through Willi, Happy and Biff.

Willy: "figure it out. Work a lifetime o pay off a house. You finally own it, and there's nobody to live in it." Here we recognize Willy's effort and hard working fro achieving his goal, and when he finally reach it, it seems not to worth anything. Willys frustration represents here the unfulfilled expectations.

Biff: "To suffer fifty weeks of the year for the sake of a two-week vacation, when all you really desire is to be outdoors..." This shows that biff has a job, and gets money, but he is not happy with it, this shows his unfulfilled expectations.

Happy: "My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women. And still, goddammit, I'm lonely". Finally here we see that aAppy has everything someone needs to have a good life, but we then realize that we also need company of people who care about us to be happy, and that our goods are not enough to be happy.
Back to top Go down
tomas silva.

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:09 pm

The unfulfilled expectations can be seen on the 3 main characters; Happy, Biff and Willy Loman.

Happy: "Sometimes I sit in my apartment - all alone." My apartment, a car, a plenty of women. And still, goddamit, I'm lonely." Int these quotes we can see that he has all the things he wanted, but he is still lonely. The money can't make you feel happy.

Biff: "I've always made a point of not wasting my life, and everytime I come back here I know that all I've done is to waste my life." This shows that he hasn't filled up his own expectations and the society expectations, so we can see he is not happy.

Willy: "Work a lifetime to pay off a house. You finnaly own it, and there's nobody to live in it" Willy feels sad and lonely because he has worked all his life for this house, and his son's aren't living in it.
Back to top Go down
Emilia Valenzuela

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:22 pm

In the play “Death of a Salesman”, the theme of unfulfilled expectations in the Loman family. We can identify them by the three male characters of the novel.

Happy: “it’s what I always wanted. My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women. And still, goddamit, I’m lonely.” In this quote by happy, we can see that though he has everything he once wanted, what society expects of him, he is still missing something, and by this missing thing, he cant reach his expectations no matter of what he has.

Biff: “I’ve had twenty or thirty different kind of job since y left home before the war, and it always turn out the same.” By this quote we can see that Biff is far away to reach what he want. The main problem is that he doesn’t know what he want, an so, he has been in many jobs trying to find out what he can do to reach his expectations.

Willy: “Work a lifetime to pay off a house. You finally own it, and there’s is nobody to live in it.” In this extract we can notice that no matter all the effort to finally own the house, his sons doesn’t live in it and he doesn’t reach his expectations.
Back to top Go down
antoniamardones

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:39 pm

In the story "death of a salesman" the theme of unfulfilles expectations is clearly shown in the Loman family. we can see the theme respresented in the three main characters of the play, Willi, Happy and Biff.

Happy:
"My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women, and still, goddamit, I'm lonely."
this quote clearly shows that Happy is living a succesfull life with all the things many people would dream of having, but still he is lonely, having lots. showing that materials things does not buy happiness and that all this materials things does not fill him.

Biff:
“I’ve had twenty or thirty different kind of job since y left home before the war, and it always turn out the same.”
Biff the other brother which has lived on a farm and know is on a visit in new york with his family tells that he have had many jobs and he likes working on farms despite he does not earn much but still he is not perfect, not settle and have not found the job he wants, showing again an unfulffiled expectation.

Willy:
“If old man Wagner was still alive I will be in charge of New York now! That man was a prince, he was a master full man. But that boy of his, that Howard, he don’t appreciate.”
thirdly comes the father, which now is an old man who is also suffering in his life. complaining about his job he is showing that his also does not have an excelent life, because he dont like his job and he expects much more of it that what is giving to him.
Back to top Go down
ignacio molina

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:45 pm

The various scenes in the book show how in the Loman family the characters aren't happy with their fate becouse of various unachieved goals or unfullfilled expectations.
For example:
Biff and Happy are at their rom discussing about what will be of their lifes. Biff asks Happy if he is earning money and he tells him: "Sometimes i sit in my apartment - all alone. And i think of the rent i'm paying. And it's crazy. But then, it's what i always wanted. My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women. And still, goddamit, I'm lonely." This shows us that, although Happy has everything a man would ever want, he feels lonely and doesn't really like the "perfect" little life he's got, becouse that's not his dream, that's the dream he should have, that's the dream everybody wants him to have, it's another person's dream, the american dream. A dream made for everybody, a dream so general that nobody really likes it fully. They like how it sounds, A good job, a car, an apartment, lots of women, and still it doesn't fullfill one's desires. It somehow fills the instinct needs of food, shelter and breeding, but that is something long forgotten, the new dream is a dream of goals, of proving oneself, not just getting everything for free. Even the poorest coal miner in a forgotten mine somewhere in the world can fullfill his dream, there is no need to have everything, just the need to fight for it oneself.
Back to top Go down
beleen esquiveel

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 3:05 am

In death of a salesman, Miller includes the theme of unfulfilled expectations by explaining three different types of charachters:

1. WILLY LOMAN- In the second chapter, he tells to his wife that you"work a lifetime to pay off a house" and when"you finally own it, there's nobody to live in it” because he didn´t reached his dream on time. When he finally bought a house for living his dream with his family, it was too late because his sons had all ready left.

2. BIFF LOMAN- He is the older son of Willy, and he seems to love his job, but he feels unhappy because he has not fulfilled his dad and societies expectations. Biff thinks he is "not gettin’ anywhere" that he has "wasted his life.” for the reason that he works on a ranch. Miller accomplishes an importance of the image, the reputation.

3.HAPPY LOMAN- Happy is Biff's brother, he has a nice job and has satisfied his dad and society expectation, but anyway he feels empty beacause he hasn´t reached what he "always wanted", to have his "own appartment, a car, and plenty of woman"

What Miller demonstrates by explaining this three characters is the difficulty of achieveing happiness in the modern materialistic now a day.
Back to top Go down
francisco d

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 7:56 pm

willy: “Work a lifetime to pay off a house. You finally own it, and there’s is nobody to live in it.” from this quote we can tell that you can work all your life to achieve a goal and when you achieve it nobody cares about it and you dont achieve it at all.

Happy: "My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women, and still, goddamit, I'm lonely." here we can see that happy has fulfilled society expectations and dreams but have not fulfilled his own expectations and hapiness.

Biff: “I’m not gettin’ anywhere…waste my life.” what this quote is saying is that he haven't found the job that he likes.
Back to top Go down
Jose Maria Mora

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Willy is at the final period of his life, and he has worked all his life to "pay of a house. You finally own it, and there's nobody to live in it". This reflects something that happens not only to him, but to most people in the world.

Happy seems to be the most successful man in the family, but his not quite happy on what he is doing. It is meant to make a contrast between both brothers because one is economically successful but doesn't enjoy his life, and that's what its meant to be for. “it’s what I always wanted. My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women. And still, goddamit, I'm lonely.” And in the other hand, Biff enjoys his work even though he doesn't earn much. “I’m not gettin’ anywhere…waste my life.”

Back to top Go down
Trinidad Campusano

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 9:20 pm

In the play "Death of a Salesman" the theme of unfulfilled dreams and expectations is presented in the opening scenes.

WILLY: he feels that he hasn't acomplished what he is supposed to: he doesn't sell the number he would like to, he is loosing his focus when driving, and he has bought a house with a whole life of work and now there is nobody to live in it. When he says “work a lifetime to pay off a house. You finally own it, and there’s is nobody to live in it”, it shows us that he is sad about having to work a life long to pay something that no one will use.

BIFF: he does what he likes but feels like he hasn't done what he is expected to by sociesty and his dad. He feels like he is unsuccesful and hasn't achieve what he is supposed to. When Biff admits “I’ve had twenty or thirty different kind of job since y left home before the war, and it always turn out the same”, we clearly see the feeling of self disappointment that is put into the frase.

HAPPY: Happy is the most successful of all, but he also feels empty in the inside. He has done all that society and his dad expect from him, but not what he wants to do. "My own apartment, a car, and plenty of women, and still, goddamit, I'm lonely." He has all what he ever wanted, except someone who he can trust, someone to rely on, who can fill the emptyness inside him. He feels very lonely.

Miller portrays the theme of unfulfilled expectations and dreams through these three characters in the opening scenes, and shows us that you might be successful at some things, but you might always leave a part of yourself feeling empty.
Back to top Go down
Benja Blas

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 6:04 pm

The author presents the theme of unfulfilled dreams by three main characters of the play: Biff, Happy and Willy.

Biff has clearly not fulfilled his dreams because in various occasions he says he has not shown his father (Willy) that he is someone special and not an everyday man.
Willy at the same time is very disappointed of Biff for not getting a real job. Willy also shows us that his whole life he never actually achieved something he really wanted.
Happy by the other hand has achieved a respectful job but, ironically, is unhappy with it, saying that was he always really wanted was to settle and have a wife and kids.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman    Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weekly Task Three: Dreams and Failure in Death of a Salesman
Page 1 of 1