Grange English Department
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Grange English Department

Forum for Grange students to answer their homework tasks

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Weekly Task One: The American Dream

Go down 
+15
Nicolás Delorenzo
Benja Blas
Francisca Fuchs
Catalina Junemann
beleen esquiveel
antoniamardones
tomas silva.
Macarena Moreno
Teresita Purto
Emilia Valenzuela
Trinidad Campusano
Francisco Rencoret
Matías Christiansen
Jose Maria Mora
Admin
19 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Weekly Task One: The American Dream Empty
PostSubject: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Watch the video below then write a 100 word (in total) answer on the following questions:

1. Choose one film you have watched that deals with the idea of the pursuit of a dream, or the pursuit of success - why did the story inspire you, or make you happy/sad?
2. What is the Chilean dream, and what is the biggest barrier to reaching it?
3. Would your Chilean dream be the same as someone from a poorer family?
4. Can money buy happiness?
Back to top Go down
https://grangeenglish.forumotion.com
Jose Maria Mora

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:55 pm

1. In my oppinion, this movie touches our feelings in different ways because the characters are comon and normal life. This makes us think the lucky we are of having a house, and something to eat every naight at home; because we could perfectly be the protagonists of this movie.

2. A dream, regardless of the persons economic possition, shouldn't be only about money, but also about familiar or social reasons. In Chile a dream should de similar to someone in U.S.A., after all we are all the same; a nice house, a job you like and a healthy family.

3. A dream in this case is ike a formula: as the person changes, the numbers changes, but it normally has the same bases: having a healthy family, a job and a house.

4. As I explained in question number 2, a dream is not only money, and normally a person is happy when his dream is achived. A person might be multi-millionare but don't have family at all, so he will feel an emptiness that cann't be replaced with money.
Back to top Go down
Matías Christiansen

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 9:43 pm

1.In my opinion, this movie is very inspiring because the protagonist acts as a universal character model which every person wishes to copy to try to complete his/her dream.

2.I think that the Chilean dream is not far away from the American dream. The Chilean dream (in my opinion) is to have a comfortable job with a nice and happy family.

3.I think that yes, all the people are the same without depending of the quantity of money. I say that every Chilean family is aiming to have a nice job with a nice family.

4.No, I think that the base for happiness is not money, I say that is love and support because a person could have money but with no love and support from friends, there is no happiness.
Back to top Go down
Francisco Rencoret

PostSubject: Homework of Francisco Rencoret   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 10:10 pm

1.- The movie Rocky is a film of a boxer that trains very hard and then reaches the big tournament and finally wins it. Rocky, reaches his life’s dream and feels very successful. This movie made me happy because the main character really challenged his self to achieve this goal and worked very hard and finally, he achieved it. This made me feel happy for Rocky because all though he was not the best boxer, he worked very hard and finished world champion.

2.-The Chilean dream is almost the same that the North American dream. This dream consists in having a good and stable job, a nice family, a house that matches the family etc... The biggest barrier that may stop you of having this dream is to give up because reaching this dream is no easy so people could just give up and stop working as hard as this dream demands.

3.- This dream could change depending on your economic position but, in my opinion, it should not change very much because all Chilean people want, at the end, to finish with a good family, god job etc..

4.- Money cannot buy happiness because you can be the richest person in all the world and simply not feel happy. Happiness is a feeling that is much more bigger and valuable than money.
Back to top Go down
Trinidad Campusano

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 12:26 pm

1. In the Disney movie The Princess and the Frog, the protagonist, a girl named Tiana, has a dream that consist of buying a place to set her desired restaurant. On the way she meets a frog, who is actually a prince called Naveen, and mistakes her with a princess and ask her to kiss him to break the spell. She accidentally turns into a frog as well and with him, she has to go through a whole lot of adventures to finally achieve her dream of owning her own restaurant. This movie inspired me to always persevere to achieve my goals in life, and made me feel very happy for Tiana, because although she struggled a lot, she acomplished her goal.

2. In my opinion. the Chilean dream is very similar to the American dream, the Argentinian dream, etc. because they all want very similar things, such as having a happy and united family, have enough money to life comfortably, have a job that they enjoy, etc. I think that one of the biggest barriers stopping people from achieveing this is money and the amount of oportunities that they are given, depending on your social class.

3. I believe that the Chilean dream of someone from a poorer family won't differ very much on my Chilean dream, because I think that he would want to succeed in life, to have a happy family and try to take them out of their economic state by improving it and having a job where he earns the necesary money he needs for succeeding at his dream.

4. I don't think money can buy happines, because happiness is a feeling that is made up of many other thing. These are something among the lines of having support from your friends and family, have a job that you enjoy, and succeeding at what you like doing. You could be a billionaire and still be the saddest person in the whole world because you lack these things.
Back to top Go down
Emilia Valenzuela

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 5:40 pm

1. “The Pursuit of Hapyness” deals with this common idea of the “American Dream”. The story was very good and inspiring, no matter of all the horrible difficulties Chris Gardner, the protagonist of the movie, he managed to succeed with a lot of effort and sacrifice. It was very sad due to all the experiences he had to be through but also, at the end, all this sacrifice and effort were good after all, they made Chris get out of poverty and be now living as a millionaire. The story inspires all people because finally their aim is to succeed in life, such as this man did. He is a role model because he is an everyday man living in an extreme lifestyle, and with all his effort, he managed to achieve his “American dream”.

2. The Chilean dream after all is the same as the American one, and in every nation as well. It is to achieve personal goals, to have a house, a family, have a good job that you enjoy that can provide everything to your family. The biggest barrier to reach this I think is the lack of opportunities, money and education. Without money you don’t have a good education in Chile for example, which the best schools are expensive private schools, and this makes you have less opportunities than others to succeed in life.

3. My dream and the dream of someone from a poorer family, I think, don’t change a lot. At the end, you want a family, a house, a good job that can maintain your family and to achieve your own personal goals in life, those goal can change between people from upper and lower class, but finally, both have a similar dream.

4. No, I think money doesn’t buy happiness, you can’t buy true friends, family and the sort of feelings they give you. No matter the amount of money you have, without love there is nothing. You can buy, in a way, friends and family but these relationships aren’t true, they are with just because of what you have, and not of what you are.
Back to top Go down
Teresita Purto

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 6:06 pm

1. The film “Pursuit of Happiness”. The movie really touched me, because the main character is a common one that deals with everyday problems, and by this we feel identified or close to the protagonist, and watching him achieve his dream and his happiness, is what inspires us, it makes us feel we have his same opportunities and luck, we feel happy, because we see in him our picture of achieving what we want.

2. The main Chilean dream is to overcome poverty. The biggest barrier to reach it is not having same opportunities in terms of education.

3. My “Chilean dream” may be in many ways similar to someone coming from a poorer family, in terms of wanting to constantly improve our lifestyle, but looking at the obvious difference between our situation: having a better economic situation, my main material needs are satisfied, not so in a poorer family, so then their dream would be more of a need, and not a want.

4. No. Money can not buy happiness, money can buy things to provide a wealthy lifestyle that for some may complement happiness, since it is just an element that fulfils some material desires, but it can never be compared or replace values.
Back to top Go down
Macarena Moreno

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 7:14 pm

1. The movie "Cinderella" is mainly about the struggle of cinderella trying to find happiness. She has a horrible step-family tah treats her like a maid. She goes to this amazing party at the palace, even though her step-mother did not let her go. She fell in love with the prince, but the problem is that he does not know her name or where she lives. Personally, I think this movie talks about the pursuit of happiness because Cinderella fights a lot to leave this horrible family and finaly get the happiness and love she deserves geting married with the prince.

2. The chilean dream is geting your own house. The main difficulty is the economic part, because banks ask for a high salary for them to give you the credit. Another important cause is when you leave the oportunity, like if someone of your family gets very ill or you are discharged from work.

3. The dream of both are the same, geting your own house but with different expectations. My dream would be geting a house with swimming pool, a room for each of my children and a big dining room. The dream of a poorer person is having a house with the main things: a ceiling, bathroom, kitchen and a room. They don't care if they have a room for each one of them, or more than one bathroom or a pool.

4. Money is not everything in life. It's true that many things have a money price, but having the love of someone, doesn't matter if its your mother, friend, wife or son, it's more greatfull and just what you need to be happy
Back to top Go down
tomas silva.

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 10:03 pm

1. In the movie Goal! Is about a mexican boy who wants to be a professional soccer player. He works hard for achieving his dreams and he finish playing on a famous soccer club “Real Madrid”. It makes me feel happy because he was a low class boy and he can finally achieve his dreams.

2. The chilean dream is almost the same of all the countries. Being healthy, having a family and a job. One of the barriers could be the social class and education he has received.

3. At the end, my dreams would be the same from a poorer person. Having a house, food for your kids, a family and a good job you enjoy.

4. In my point of view, money cannot buy happiness. The love of your friends and family can not be replaced with materials and money.
Back to top Go down
antoniamardones

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 10:59 pm

1. "of mice and men" a movie i thought it was really good because it shows that in many times the aims are not reached like it happens in real life, it makes me feel sad because of the unhappy ending.
2.chilean people have different types of dreams, some just look to feel happy because of many, others have religous thoughts and are happy having God aside, but mainly I think the dream is to have a healthy family, good education a good job. the biggest barrier I think it is that its just a little amount of people who recieves this good education, good job, good health...so the ones that dont recieve it have a very difficult life trying to get it.
3. I think dreams now a days are not that different, every one wants to be happy, being loved, having a good family, a job they enjoy and other things that generally everyones wants to have but they may vary in the social classes because of the life poeaple have had.
4. I dont think money can buy happines, but I do think it can help to get some level of happines that can be also get by other things.
Back to top Go down
beleen esquiveel

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 11:49 pm

1. the movie I choosed is the pursuit of hapiness, and what I like about this movie is that tells the story of a man that after a lot of hard work and difficult problem he finally reaches the hapiness, and made his dream become real. this movie produces hope and hapiness on many persons that feel identified with this salesman, because the problem that this man has to surpass is very common, and gives a reason to people for keep fighting for their dream even though they seem to be impossible to reach.

2. The chilean dream is very similar to the american dream, to have a nice job, with a pretty house, a happy family and a good education for your children. the bigger barrier to reach our dreams is that we dont believe in our selves and we don't think that we can reach them because they seem to be too far away.

3. I think my chilean dream would be very different than the chilean dream of someone poor because poor people are more humild, they would be happy with just having something to eat and a warm place to live.

4. money can't buy hapiness, but it does helps people to be happier because is very difficult to be happy if you don't have enough money for living. anyway money is not the most important thing for being happy, the principal thing of hapiness is to have a healthy familiy and to have the love of them, because you may be the ritchest man on the world but if you don't have someone that love you with whom you could share your life, you wont be happy!
Back to top Go down
Catalina Junemann

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:36 am

1. “Pursuit of Happyness”, this is a movie in which the "American Dream" concept is very well showed, the main character Chris Gardner struggles to solve his everyday issues. Throughout the movie we can feel identified with the impotence he feels when he fails and with the sad situations he goes through, but finally we can tell it is a very inspiring story because it is the testimony of a poor man who overcomes his problems and ends being a happy, wealthy man.

2. I think the main Chilean dream is very similar to the American dream, it consists in having a family, a house, a nice job, and feeling satisfied with what you've got. The only difference is that in Chile there are fewer opportunities for poor people, if you don't have money you can't appeal to good education, and as a consequence you won't have a good job, you will earn less money and will not be able to provide to your family what they need.

3. My dream is probably very similar to the dream of someone coming from a poorer family. I think what we all want to reach in life is happyness, and happyness can come from many things such as a family, being who you want or achieving any goal you proposed to yourself.

4. No, money can't buy happyness, because more than a feeling happyness is a decision, it is only you who can decide if you want or not to be happy, it doesn't matter your economic situation; you can always decide to be happy, but yes it can help you reach your goals in life and makes it easier for you.
Back to top Go down
Francisca Fuchs

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 1:10 am

1. “The Blind Side” is a movie based on a true story about a homeless african-american boy of about eighteen which comes from a 'broken family’ which struggles to be something more and in a way, reach happiness. He is taken in by a wealthy family and help him achieve happiness and his American dream.
This movie really inspired me because it shows reality very well, no matter how cruel it is; and it shows how difficult is to get out of poverty. And that is not only achieved by the money that this family ‘invested’ in this boy but as well as all the love and time that they dedicated to him. It’s a movie that makes you sad and happy, to see this young man putting his self out like that, making an effort and trying to reach his dream, while going through some harsh times and some happy ones to.

2. I think the Chilean dream is very similar to the American dream. People are similar here in Chile and over in North America and that our dreams are similar as well so i think all of us want a stable life, with a family and warm house to come back at night after work and money and that you can provide everything your family needs (education, health care, etc.) , no matter what is your social or economic position, but there is always something stopping you from having what you want and in this case i think is support (from family and loved ones), lack of opportunities and unfortunately money.

3. I believe that my chilean dream is very similar to someone from a poorer family but, I think the difference is how close that is from your reality, and that people from poorer families see it as something impossible to achieve in comparison to many of us who don’t.

4. I think that money can not buy happiness because happiness is so much more than that which include love and support and joy (and a lot of other things); but it always helps.
Back to top Go down
Benja Blas

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 7:13 pm

1.I think that a great inspiring movie is "8 Mile". This is a great movie about the life of Marshall Mathers (Eminem) before he got to be a famous raper. Marshall's life was very inspiring for many rapers who wanted to follow his steps, such as Aliuane Thiam (Akon), and this movie is the way he tells the world how his life was.
2.The Chilean dream is not very different from the american dream. It is the achievement of owning a house, have a family and enjoy life. this is quite harder than in America (I know this because my uncle lives there) but the dream is the same.
3.In Chile the difference between the richest and the poorest is VERY high so the Chilean dream vary between them. The dream of a low class born child might be just buy a house and have a family, on the other hand, the dream of a high class child might be even get wealthier than they all ready are.
4.I think money can buy happiness, but only the happiness you can recieve from a material thing, money cant buy the happiness you receive from your family and friends.
Back to top Go down
Nicolás Delorenzo

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 8:01 pm

1) The movie is “en busca de la felicidad” this movie talks about the dream of a man and his difficult life because of his economic problems. This story inspires me because make me see that even though life can be very difficult you can go over it and make you dreams came true, It only needs effort and the desire to do it. It also makes me sad because of all the things the protagonist has to suffer such us economic problems and discrimination to finally reach his dream and happiness.

2) Have a good education that will make you have a good job in the future so you can work on what you most like. The biggest barrier to reach this is the money because here in Chile the public education is very bad and if you don’t have the money to pay a private school probably you education is no going to be good and you wont get a good work.

3) No, it won’t be the same because as I said before in a poorer family they would probably don’t have money to pay a private school and would have to go to a public were the level of education is very low.

4) I think money can’t buy happiness but it can make you think and appear to be happy but in the inside you feel that something is missing you and that really you are not happy.
Back to top Go down
ignacio molina

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 8:46 pm

1. The film I choose is “The Karate Kid” which tells the story of a little boy who goes to a new town and is constantly bullied by the local boys, which know karate. This movie is really inspiring because the boy does everything he can to learn karate and defend himself from the bullies, and during the process learns a few things that help him overcome the obstacles in his way.

2. The Chilean dream is, I believe, the fight for better opportunities, to study whatever you like and not just what you can, to be whoever you like no matter who you were. The biggest barrier is education, as it is one of the most important, if not the most important way to achieve goals and become someone.

3. It would be practically the same, we both want to achieve the goals that we put up to and reach our desires, the main difference is that I have more opportunities to reach it and it will be easier to means I have a privileged education and better life conditions.

4. No, certainly money can’t buy happiness as many rich people hate their lives and can’t do nothing with their money to help it. Therefore money can’t buy happiness, but it really helps paying the means to reach it.
Back to top Go down
francisco grgurina

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 9:01 pm

1. The persuit of happines. This movie really inspires me as it's about a man who has his little familly and goes through lot of economic problems and finally reaches his goal, after a lot of hard working and painful moments. This movie makes me quite sad because of the poor situation of this man, but at the end it makes me very happy, after watching that the man reaches his dream

2. I think that mostly all the people's dream in Chile is to have their job and being proud of it and working in what they like; also having their own house or department. But the most important barrier is that Chile has a really bad education, causing very difficult the job opportunities as there are only a few privileged people with GOOD education.

3. Not really, because in poorer places the dream would basically be to have food and shelter, which i already have. In my case my dream would be to have a job i like, by studying the career i chosed for having in the future goods and my own house.

4. Not really, because there is a lot of people who has a lot of money and still is not happy. Happines would be based on having people who loves you.
Of course, money could increase your happines by having more things that you like and opportunites, but having people who cares about you is base on someone's happy life.
Back to top Go down
francisco d

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 10:21 pm

1. I think that "the persuit of happiness" because it shows that when you are a hard worker everything in life can be reached.

2.I think the chilean dream is the same than the american dream that is to have the job you like, have a house an having a family with a good

3. yes, but i think that I am much near to achieve it than a porr guy with worse eduction and economic status .

4.I think that money can't buy happiness but it can help you to achieve it with material things.
Back to top Go down
gregorio ingham

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 10:01 pm

The film I choose is "goal". Its about a Mexican boy that lives in USA and he goes to England to play for newcastle united. The kid had a very hard time because of economical problems before he left USA and he is willing to leave his family to fight for his dream. This movie inspired me because he did everything to achive his dream and did sacrifices that not every person would do.

For me the chilean dream is to have a house and be happy as a family but the biggest barrier for reaching this is education so that you can earn the money to achieve the dream.

I think that it depends because the financial situation is relationed with what a person wants, but i think that the idea is the same. For example a poorer person would want to get married in a church but a more wealthy person would not only want that but with all the decorations that they want and the music and guests etc.

I think that no because a lot of thing can be bought with money and that bring you hapiness, but it's only the material things. And at the end of the day you could loose al those thing and still be happy because you've got a family and friends that care about you and that is what it counts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weekly Task One: The American Dream   Weekly Task One: The American Dream Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weekly Task One: The American Dream
Page 1 of 1